Thursday, February 24, 2011

Spaghetti Sauce


I, personally, have always had a bad case of indigestion after eating prepared spaghetti sauce -- and it always let such a funny aftertaste in my mouth, too. One day I decided to experiment. A few additions to my pizza sauce recipe and I came up with something my family and I enjoy so much. Yummy! You'll never go back to ready-made spaghetti sauce!

This recipe makes a rather large batch but the extra does wonderfully in the freezer.

Original recipe by Naomi
  • 1/2 C. olive oil
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped
  • 4 tsp. garlic, minced
  • 3 cans (15 oz.) tomato sauce
  • 1 can (12 oz.) tomato paste
  • 2 cans (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 2 T. Italian seasoning
  • 1 tsp. basil
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 3 T. sugar (or other sweetener, to balance flavors)
  • 1 T. Worchestershire sauce
Saute onion and garlic in olive oil. Add remaining ingredients and stir. Cover and simmer 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally.

No comments: