Thursday, February 24, 2011

Chocolate Fudge Cake


I remember the first time I tasted this moist, velvety chocolate cake. We were in Iowa with my grandparents and, as always, we stopped by Aunt Frances and Uncle Don's farm for a visit. My aunt Frances is such a warm, hospitable lady. She always has some type of dessert ready for us to enjoy with a cup of coffee or fresh lemonade. I fell in love with this cake the moment I saw it -- and when I tasted it... OH! WOW! (Cinnamon is what makes this cake taste so special.)

Recipe from Aunt Frances Sowers (and she got it from my Grandma)

Put in big bowl and mix:
  • 2 C. flour
  • 1-1/2 C. sugar
Put in sauce pan:
  • 1 C. butter
  • 4 T. cocoa
  • 1 C. water
Pour into flour-sugar mixture and mix well.

Add:
  • 1/2 C. buttermilk
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 2 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
Beat well and pour into greased 16" x 11" pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

Frosting

Put in sauce pan; bring to a boil:
  • 4 T. cocoa
  • 4-6 T. milk
  • 1/2 C. butter
Add:
  • Powdered sugar (until thick)
  • Chopped nuts, optional
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

Printable Version


No comments: